Tips to Eliminate the Emotional Stress of a Messy Closet
Why be late for work just because you cannot find the right thing to wear in your closet? Get organized and feel great.
Today I went into my closet to find something to wear and I got so overwhelmed looking for something I just grabbed the quickest, easiest thing I could find and shut the door behind me. I am so tired of my clothes and feel like I never have anything to wear. My closet is so messy and full of stuff that I can never find anything that fits or works. I get anxious just thinking about what to wear so I try not to think about it. I am constantly late for work and meetings and I never feel like I am put together when I walk out my door.
Declutter Rather Than Make Excuses and Buy More
I find a cluttered closet is worse than taking out the trash, making dinner, doing the laundry and cleaning up after someone. A cluttered closet is like having a cluttered desk at home or work: You never feel like you make progress and you always feel stuck. To move forward we have to do something about it, take action to fix this emotional roller coaster we are on. In order to free ourselves we need to de-clutter.
When our closet is cluttered so are other parts of our life. We are never happy; our creativity isn’t there, we don’t think straight and we never look as good as we would like. We always make an excuse to buy more because we don’t feel good in anything we have. The root cause of clutter: we get emotionally attached to our clothes and stuff and it is hard to let go even though we no longer need it or want it.
As someone that has moved many times in her life, I’ve learned to let go of material things and not let my closet hold me hostage. They are not important when you have to raise a family and put food on the table. One positive thing with each move was feeling like I was getting a fresh new start. When you start getting rid of the old and making room for the new you will also feel fresh, open and creative again.
Easy tips to get your closet ready for Spring and help you move forward:
- Take all your empty hangers out of your closet, wire hangers, take to the dry cleaners and plastic ones put in a bag or box.
- Take everything out of your closet that doesn’t belong in your closet, such as a sewing machine, boxes of paper, blankets, trophies, books etc.
- Since spring is a few days away start taking out all your bulky clothes and put them in another closet or maybe in a box or Rubbermaid container.
- Get everything off the floor, move it out.
- Vacuum the floor of your closet
- Dust your shelves
- Take all your jeans off hangers and fold them, if they are already folded than organize them and put them on a shelf.
- Take all bulky sweaters and fold them and pack them away.
- When you pick something up ask yourself, is this something that you really need or is it something you are hanging on to if so why? (answer your question and be honest)
- Start tossing things that are outdated and don’t make you feel fabulous.
Q: How do I incorporate bright spring colors into my work wordrobe
There are lots of amazing colors to choose from this spring. How do I incorporate this seasons’ bright colors into my wardrobe?
A: The best thing to do is to hold the colors up to your face and if you see the brightness more than your face it is probably too bright for you. Now once you have figured out what colors look the best then, start adding inexpensive pieces to your wardrobe such as a scarf, colorful jewelry, tops under your jackets, purse with some flair or a pair of colorful shoes that you can pull off.
Implementing just a few of these tips will save you time and frustration. Just imagine the freedom of going into your closet knowing that you can find what you need and everything fits. And think of the confidence you will gain because you look as good on the outside as you feel on the inside.